*

Prøv vores tablet-udgave

Vi kan se, at du er på en tablet. Kunne du tænke dig at læse Jyllands-Posten på vores tablet-app?

fredag 24. oktober 2014
Jyllands-Posten Jyllands-Posten news
News in English 31.05.2011 kl. 14:41

12 years to Doukaev for terrorism attempt

Defence had hoped for nine-year sentence for planning to send letter bomb to newspaper Lors Doukaev will spend 12 years in a Danish prison for last September’s failed plan to send a letter bomb to the newspaper that published the...

Lors Doukaev will spend 12 years in a Danish prison for last September’s failed plan to send a letter bomb to the newspaper that published the Mohammed drawings, a court in Copenhagen announced today.

The sentence, which includes permanent expulsion from Denmark after the sentence is served, was handed down a day after a unanimous court found the Chechen-born Belgian citizen guilty of attempted terrorism and weapons possession.

Doukaev was arrested in a Copenhagen park on September 10, after a minor explosion in a near-by hotel.

The 25-year-old, who was the only person injured in the blast, admitted to accidentally setting off the bomb, but told the court he was disarming the package he intended to use to protect himself from other Chechens while staying at the hotel.

The court however did not buy that explanation and convicted Doukaev for attempting to send a letter bomb to the offices of Jyllands-Posten newspaper in retaliation for the 2005 publication of 12 caricatures of the prophet Mohammed.

Doukaev’s only comment to the court today before receiving his sentence was to maintain his innocence.

As he was prosecuted under terrorism legislation passed in the wake of the September 11 attacks, Doukaev could have been sentenced to 16 years. Earlier in the day, however, the prosecution said it would ask the court for a 12-year sentence.

After expressing disappointment yesterday at the court’s unanimous decision, Doukaev’s lawyer, Niels Anker Rasmussen, said today he was “surprised” that the court had followed the prosecution’s recommendation.

Previous terrorism trials have resulted in similar sentences, but Rasmussen said those cases involved much larger quantities of explosives.

He compared the Doukaev case with the case against a Somali immigrant sentenced to nine years in February for attempting to kill Mohammed cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

Among the evidence presented against Doukaev were envelopes with the address of the newspaper written on them, as well as computer records showing that he had visited the website of the newspaper while in Copenhagen.

In addition, the prosecution said the bomb was fashioned according to a manual found in a Liege, Belgium flat where a friend of Doukaev lived. Also found in the same flat were videos promoting Islamic jihad.

Doukaev’s defence explained he was visiting the website to read job advertisements, and added that there was no evidence to support the charges he was seeking to avenge publication of the drawings.

SEE RELATED STORIES

Would-be bomber guilty of attempted terrorism

One-legged bomber on trial

Chechen's bombing trial opens tomorrow

Doukaev admits identity

Few explanations follow premature detonation of bomb

Police confirm bomber is Belgian boxer

Portrait of nameless bomber still unclear

Mug shot of bomb suspect released

Police put face on nameless bomber

Belgians begin explosion investigation

Suspected bomber arrested

Explosion possibly terror related

The Copenhagen Post
Følg
Jyllands-Posten
Annonce
Annonce
forsiden lige nu

Forsvarsadvokat: Dansk sjusk førte til løsladelse af Hedegaard-mistænkt

Den formodede attentatmand blev muligvis løsladt, fordi Danmark oplyste, at Lars Hedegaard var blevet dræbt. Samtidig bringer tyrkisk avis nye oplysninger i sagen.

Thorning forstår ikke kritik af EU's energiaftale

Vi er længst fremme i verden og vil inspirere Kina og USA, siger statsminister til kritikerne af ny EU-aftale.

Kaj Munks våben genfundet ved tilfælde

Efter at have været forsvundet i årevis dukkede den likviderede præsts våben pludselig op igen.

Sverige afviser at pleje mulig ebolasyg Unicef-ansat

Socialstyrelsen i Sverige har sagt nej til at modtage og pleje en mulig ebolasmittet person fra Sierra Leone.

Vrede Cameron: Jeg betaler ikke

Britisk premierminister buldrer mod pludselig ekstraregning fra EU's kontingentkontor.

Læge anker dom i sag om dna-fusk

Nu skal Østre Landsret afgøre, om 39-årig læge fuskede med dna-prøver for at smyge sig uden om faderskab.
Annonce
Annonce
TV
Foto
Annonce
Søg i vejviseren
Annonce